Greening the 14th EPH Conference 2021
EPH Conference 2021: the greenest EPH Conference ever
The COVID-19 pandemic forced many events to go completely virtual, including the past World Congress on Public Health and this upcoming 14th EPH Conference 2021. Although this at first may seem as an unfortunate shift, it is the best way to make a conference environmentally friendly. A virtual conference is undeniably the most sustainable way for a conference: air and car travel is almost eliminated and there is no wasting of paper or other materials. An additional benefit from the elimination of travel is saving time and money. Luckily there are still ample opportunities for participants to network and exchange knowledge through the virtual platform.
Some further tips we encourage you to implement to decrease your individual impact on the environment. Every little bit helps!
- Lessen or cut out meat and dairy products
- Buy local food products
- Use a re-usable cup when you get your take-away tea or coffee at a café
- Reduce your power usage by for example turning of your lights during the day or when you leave a room
Greening our in-person conferences
EPH Conference is committed to reducing the environmental impact of our in-person conferences and finding ways to be more environmentally responsible. To help minimize the impact of our in-person conferences we have taken the following initiatives:
Foods and drinks: healthy options
- Fresh vegetables and fruit are the basis of all meals. Our catering service gives priority to fresh fruits and vegetables that are locally produced and in season.
- We encourage the choice for vegetarian lunch and dinner options.
- We have chosen leaner meats and sea food, rather than beef meat.
- We do not offer alcohol at the conference and have limited the availability of drinks that are high in free sugars. Water is available throughout the conference.
Reduced paper use
- Communication with delegates is done electronically. Abstract submission, registration and invoicing are fully web-based. The printed Programme Book is only available on request.
- Printouts of conference materials are avoided. By switching to E-Posters printing of poster materials by delegates is avoided.
- Sustainable conference materials and travel
- The Conference Bag is made of recycled materials. The Programme Book is printed on FSC Mix paper. FSC Mix means at least 70% of the wood in the product is from FSC-certified material or recycled material; and 30% is controlled wood. from responsible sources.
- We encourage our delegates to reduce the effect of their air travel on the climate by flying CO2 neutral with the CO2ZERO compensation service.
- We encourage delegates to travel to our conference venue by train.
We select conference suppliers that do everything they can to limit the environmental impact of their products and services.
EUPHA's Green Club
EUPHA has established a working group of environmental experts and environment-conscious colleagues to advice both EUPHA and the EPH Conference Foundation in their efforts to reduce the environmental impact of the conference. The Green Club is intended to brainstorm and advise the organisers of the annual EPH Conferences on how to limit the impact on the environment.