Greening the EPH Conference
EPH Conference is committed to reducing the environmental impact of the conference and finding ways to be more environmentally responsible. These are our environmental initiatives we have taken to help minimize the impact of the conference on the environment.
Avoiding air travel
We encourage our delegates not to travel to Berlin by plane, but to travel by train instead. Berlin is located in the heart of Europe and is a convenient hub for rail connections all across the continent. Delegates can easily reach Berlin from almost every major city in an environmentally friendly way with the lowest possible CO2 footprint. No matter what direction they are coming from, even from the United Kingdom, delegates can start their conference attendance in a sustainable way.
The modern Berlin Hauptbahnhof connects cities from every direction and is located in the centre of Berlin. The Bahnhof Zoo is located in the western centre of the city. Each station offers quick public transit into the city centre and to the hub27 Berlin, our conference venue. Delegates can now also reach Berlin by night train from many destinations.
If a flight is unavoidable for the trip to Berlin, we encourage delegates to join the atmosfair project and make a contribution to compensate the emissions of their flight.
Food and drinks
We have chosen a variety of healthy options provided throughout the event:
- Fresh vegetables and fruit are the basis of all meals. Our catering service gives priority to fresh fruits and vegetables that are locally produced and in season.
- We encourage the choice for vegetarian lunch and dinner options.
- We have chosen leaner meats and sea food, rather than beef meat.
- We do not offer alcohol at the conference and have limited the availability of drinks that are high in free sugars. Water from water dispensers is available throughout the conference.
In particular the catering company we contracted follows the following ecological principles:
- Use of re-usable tableware only. If disposable tableware, CCG supplies compostable tableware and wooden cutlery.
- Water from water dispensers is available throughout the conference.
- Dishwashers are equipped with reverse osmosis units to reduce water consumption.
- Care is taken to ensure that all new kitchen equipment is designed to conserve water and energy.
- Pre-packed individual portions are restricted as far as possible in order to reduce waste.
Reduced material use
We have adopted eco-friendly practices in communicating with delegates:
- Abstract submission, registration and invoicing are fully web-based. The full programme is available on the EPH Conference App.
- Printouts of conference materials are avoided. By switching to ePosters printing of poster materials by delegates is avoided.
- The printed Programme Book is only available on request and against payment of a fee. It’s printed on FSC Mix paper. FSC Mix means at least 70% of the wood in the product is from FSC-certified material or recycled material; and 30% is controlled wood from responsible sources.
Our conference suppliers do everything they can to limit the environmental impact of their products and services. Read more about Messe Berlin's environmental policies.
EUPHA's Green Club
EUPHA has established a working group of environmental experts and environment-conscious colleagues to advice both EUPHA and the EPH Conference Foundation in their efforts to reduce the environmental impact of the conference. The Green Club is intended to brainstorm and advice the organisers of the annual EPH Conferences on how to decrease the impact on the environment.