PRE-CONFERENCE WEDNESDAY 1 NOVEMBER 2017 (09:00 - 17:00)
How to write for and publish in a public health journal
EUPHA Section Public Health Epidemiology (Lead) and EUPHAnxt (Chair)
Aims of the pre-conference
In the tradition of past pre-conferences organized by the EUPHA, this year the Section of Public Health Epidemiology organizes a pre-conference meeting, fully supported by EUPHAnxt aiming to provide an overview of writing a manuscript for and publishing it in a public health journal. The pre-conference also aims to share experiences, with the prospect of furthering a common agenda across European countries and EUPHA Sections, on the conference theme.
9.00-10.30 - First session
- Overview of the theme.
- From the idea to the publication: is it only a matter of content, clarity and time?
- Getting published: Insights into the editorial process
10:30 – 11:00 Coffee/tea break
11:00 – 12:30 - Second session
- Journal peer review and publication: how do you comply with the journal requirements?
- How do you catch an editor's attention? How do you stand out?
- How do you pick the right journal to submit to? And why choose open access or not?
- Presenting statistical data for publication: how to be sure that the analysis is pertinent with the data and the journal
12:30 – 13:30 Lunch
13:30 – 15:00 – Third session
- The methodological quality of the manuscript: the strange case of STROBE, CONSORT and PRISMA statements
- How to respond to editors' and reviewers’ comments
15:00 – 15:30 Coffee/tea break
15:30 – 17:00- - Fourth session
- Discussion and questions with panel of speakers.
- Meeting closes (17:00 pm)
Prof. Giuseppe La Torre, Associate Editor Public Health
Prof. Alastair Leyland, Editor European Journal of Public Health
The registration fee is € 140 which includes networking lunch and refreshments.