Pre-conference: Working together for a people-centred health workforce
Wednesday 28 November, 09:00 - 17:00
EUPHA Section on Health workforce research, TO-REACH Project, in collaboration with ASPHER, EHMA, European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, and WHO Regional Office for Europe
Changing patterns of health and illness with growing multi-morbidity and ageing societies create new demand for health and social care services and professional competences. The societal challenges of creating a sustainable and people-centred health workforce are increasingly recognised in Europe and globally. Health systems and stakeholder organisations have taken action to respond to new demand for health workforce development. However, it is not well understood how to make a future health workforce happen that is people-centred and community-oriented as well as sustainable, adaptive and cost-effective.
The preconference aims to
- enhance opportunities for building capacity across stakeholder organisations and strengthen public health, and
- exchange research evidence and innovation to create, manage and sustain a people-centred health workforce and transfer knowledge between countries and communities.
The preconference will stimulate innovation and create new knowledge for better health workforce governance and professional development for integrated care provision which is responsive to the needs of the population and communities.
The preconference will present latest health workforce research in Europe and connect different stakeholder views. The sessions are built around two major themes: to align stakeholders and build capacity (session 1 and 2), and to improve research evidence and innovation and explore knowledge transfer across countries (session 3 and 4). The Preconference applies an interactive workshop style with a mix of session formats and sufficient time for discussion.
Programme [download the full programme here]
Chairs: Ellen Kuhlmann, President EUPHA (HWR) and Johan Hansen, NIVEL, TO-REACH Project
09:00 - 10:30 Session 1 Aligning stakeholders, building capacity for a people-centred health workforceanelists:
- Building a sustainable health workforce in the WHO European Region, Gabrielle Jacob, WHO Regional Office for Europe, Division of Health Systems and Public Health, Human Resources for Health Programme
- Strengthening the public health workforce, Robert Otok, ASPHER
- What do countries need? Priorities in health workforce research for the next Horizon Europe (Ninth) Framework Programme, Johan Hansen, TO-REACH Project
10:30 - 11:00 Coffee break
11:00 - 12:30 Session 2 Break-out session
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch break
13:30 - 15:00 Session 3 Exchanging research evidence, enhancing innovation and cross-country learning
- How to transfer health workforce innovation from one place to another and how to innovate methodology to support health workforce development? Matthias Wismar, European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies
- How to manage the health workforce effectively? Usman Khan, EHMA
- How to promote health workforce innovation through research? Ellen Kuhlmann, EUPHA (HWR)
15:00 - 15:30 Coffee break
15:30 - 17:00 Session 4 Break-out session and summing-up
17:00 Closing comments
The registration fee is € 140 which includes networking lunch and refreshments.