Sustainability at Messe Berlin
Messe Berlin places high priority on protecting nature and conserving natural resources. The company makes every effort to use resources sparingly and protect the environment.
- Service providers are selected based on their ability to meet the latest environmental protection standards.
- Materials that are recyclable, biodegradable or reusable are generally used in all work processes.
- As a result of careful energy management and targeted investments, the amount of fuel used for heating and air conditioning was reduced by 23% and CO2 emissions were lowered by 27% from 2005 to 2013.
- More than 30% of the electrical power required by Messe Berlin is produced by environment-friendly combined heat and power (CHP) systems. The externally procured electricity is 100% green electricity from German hydroelectric power plants.
- Trade fairs and events of Messe Berlin, i.e. at the International Green Week Berlin and the Fruit Logistica, help prevent food waste by donating leftover food to the Berliner Tafel, a food bank association in Berlin.
Depending on the season, local fruit and vegetables are provided, thus minimizing delivery distances and fuel consumption. Our provider, Capital Catering GmbH, follows the following ecological principles:
- Use of re-usable tableware only. If organisers request disposable tableware, CCG supplies compostable tableware and wooden cutlery.
- PET bottles are collected or, alternatively, water dispensers can be made available.
- Dishwashers are equipped with reverse osmosis units to reduce water consumption.
- Care is taken to ensure that all new kitchen equipment is designed to conserve water and energy.
- Individual, pre-packed portions are restricted as far as possible in order to reduce waste.
Read more about Messe Berlin’s sustainability policies.